School Charter Cruises | Fun and Interesting Field Trips for Kids | Columbia SC
· The Spirit of Lake Murray provides a great venue to have a floating classroom where student participation is encouraged.
Cruises available Monday-Friday 10AM-12PM
· Our History cruises have been well received by students throughout the Midlands.
· The owner of The Spirit of Lake Murray is the main instructor on educational cruises. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree (Philosophy), a Master of Arts degree (Education), a Master of Divinity degree (Theology), did doctoral work at Drew University (NJ), and received a Doctor of Humanities degree (SD). In addition, he is a graduate of the nationally-acclaimed Air War College, and the Air Command & Staff College (AL). He retired after serving 30 years in the USAF as a military chaplain. He, his wife, and son have all served as substitute teachers in the Lexington-Richland District 5.
· The curriculum for each cruise is specifically designed for participating students. Possible subject areas include (1) the History of Lake Murray--what lies under the water as well as around the shore; (2) Purple Martins--the birds that annually fly from South America to Lake Murray; (3) Lake Murray--a training classroom for World War II pilots; (4) Shull Island--an active military camp in WW II; (5) The importance of dams in the production of hydroelectric power [often times a tour of the Lake Murray Dam can be arranged].
· If requested, a note-taking paper will be available for each student.
Email Staff@spiritoflakemurray.com or Andrew@spiritoflakemurray.com for School Charter Pricing.
Educators are always looking for fun and meaningful ways to encourage their students. Sometimes a class field trip helps to kick off a unit study, or pulls it all together at the end of a unit of study. There are many learning opportunities aboard the Spirit of Lake Murray.
The history cruise is a narrated tour of the lake and explains the local history regarding the need for the lake; the massive construction of the Lake Murray dam on the Saluda River; the displacement of families, farms, churches, businesses and cemeteries; how hydro-electric power is generated; the use of Lake Murray for training by the military in World War II and much more.
The boat also may be used by teachers to illustrate aspects of environmental studies, aquatic biology, civil engineering, boating basics and safety and much more... get creative, and plan a cruise that will keep your students engaged. The crew of the Spirit of Lake Murray loves working with educators and their students and will help you create a learning environment aboard the vessel.